10.29.2006

Morning tour of West Lake

This morning my guide Veronica took us out to see West Lake and the park. Our driver picked us up at the hotel and we head off to West Lake. It's very beautiful and a pleasant drive. Let me say one thing about the driving, it's more like oragnized chaos. It seems to work pretty well, bikes everywhere, cars, pedestrians, all weaving in and out of each other. Each and every person with the thought "They won't hit me". But it happens I'm sure.

Our first stop was the "dancing park", in the morning people gather to practice Tai Chi, then throughout the day, it's ballroom type dancing. I was the center of attention throughout the day, being a white person with a Chinese baby. As I found out as many people stared and glanced cusiously, they thought that Veronica and I were married and Molly was a mixed race baby. To those who asked, Veronica explained the adoption to them and everyone wished us well and said I was very kind.

We went to a open grass park where other families were having picnics and just enjoying the day. I helped Molly out of the stroller but she didn't want to leave my side. She wasn't too interested in other babies, only looking, didn't want to interact, just look curiously.
I was the center of attention there as well, many other families with babies came up to us and Veronica must've gotten tired saying that her and I weren't a couple and Molly is not a mixed race baby. Veronica said that adoption of Chinese babies is not that well known in Zhiejang province. Everyone said that she has beautiful eyes, and she 'looks foreign', and looks like me.

We were waiting for our driver to pick us up to go to the next stop and a group of men gathered around us and asked many questions about Molly and me. It feels just like when I would take my girl Katie places when she was just an infant, all the women would gather to say how pretty she was.

Our next stop was a park where they had a lot of goldfish and peacocks. We started to go into the park and saw the peacocks, but Molly started to cry and was obviously tired. So we called the driver and he brought us back to the hotel. They have a peacock garden inside the hotel also, which is inside a restaraunt.

We're resting now as housekeeping is cleaning our roon, Molly sure makes a mess when she eats. She doesn't really suck on a bottle, she chews on it, so it takes her a LONG time too eat. I made bigger holes in a couple of nipples, but then it would pour out of her mouth and make a bigger mess.

Once housekeeping is done, I am going to try to get her down for a nap. I'm not able to watch Lost on abc.com because the website only allows people from the US to watch. So I'm downloading Lost now, but it will take a long time.

I'll let Erin post some of the pictures I took. I can only create a post, I cannot look at anything on blogspot.com due to the restrictions on websites here in China.

1 Comments:

At 6:34 AM, Blogger Kimmi said...

it sounds wonderful

 

Post a Comment

<< Home